Adult Wheelchair in a Day
Liverpool Wheelchair Service is launching the UK’s first ‘Adult Wheelchairs in a Day’ scheme.
This ambitious new scheme will dramatically reduce patient waiting times and completely transform the way that wheelchairs are provided to members of the community.
Under ‘Adult Wheelchairs in a Day’ the majority of adult wheelchair users will be able to be clinically assessed and fitted for an NHS wheelchair to take away with them – all on the same day.
In contrast, in the past wheelchair users have typically been required to wait anywhere between 8 – 20 weeks for wheelchair parts, depending on the complexity of the type of wheelchair needed.
Aims of Project
The Adult Wheelchair in a Day scheme aims to:
- Reduce waiting times for wheelchair users
- Make the service more easily accessible
- Improve service quality, and reduce complaints and returns
- Support improved clinical outcomes
- Help cope with increasing demand for the service
- Enhance overall quality of life / independence for patients
The scheme is a huge undertaking and will involve a major redesign of the service over the coming 18 months, but we expect to be able to offer this service to most of our service users by Spring2016.
The project will be delivered in three phases as follows:
- Phase 1– Direct issue chairs to be delivered in a day
- Phase 2 - Powered chairs to be introduced into the scheme
- Phase 3 - Complex chairs to be introduced into the scheme
Please note: A small number of our wheelchair users who require very bespoke provisions may not be eligible for this scheme because they will still need to have a special wheelchair made to order, however this will be tailor-made for them, to meet their individual needs.
Downloadable Patient Information
For more information about this project, please contact our team:
Tel: 0151 296 7770