Discharge (from hospital) Planning are two teams of experienced nurses based at Aintree Hospital and Royal Liverpool Broadgreen University Hospital Trust (RL&BUHT).
They are teams of registered nurses who have experience of both community and hospital based services.
The service aims to provide complex discharge planning for the acute sector of health providers. Patients could be assessed on any of the following pathways:
- Continuing Health Care including palliative or end of life pathways
- Intermediate Care
- Complex Community Discharges into district nursing or community nursing services
- To support the effective and safe discharge of patients admitted from acute (hospital) services
- To minimise length of stay in an acute environment as evidence shows the least time you spend in hospital the less likely you are to develop a healthcare acquired infection
- To transfer patients who require on going care from a hospital bed safely, effectively and timely
- Transfer patients to a place of their choice (Gold Standard Framework) who are nearing their end of life so that they can die with dignity in accordance with the End of Life Strategy
- To support the hospitals to maintain patient flow