What We Do
Would you like to …
- Take part in a range of fun activity sessions?
- Get motivated and feel fitter?
- Learn how to eat well on a budget?
- Lose weight and feel good about yourself?
- Get more family time together?
Healthy Families is an exciting, 12 week course which supports children and families to feel good and be more healthy.
Run by our team of friendly NHS health & fitness professionals, each course offers weekly 1 -1.5 hour after-school fun sessions, suitable for the whole family to take part in.
With courses running all over the city, why not consider trying one in your area?
All of the courses are completely free to attend.
What support will I get?
Throughout the course, our team will work with you and your family to help you set and achieve some simple, manageable health goals – whether that’s losing a few pounds, getting more active, or learning to cook healthy meals together.
We’ll also be on hand at every step to help motivate, support and encourage you to achieve these goals and make lasting changes to your lifestyle – both during the course and beyond.
What types of activities are included on the course?
- You'll enjoy games, sports and activities to help you get more active. There's something for everyone, and we'll help you find an activity that you all enjoy so you can carry on getting active once the course has finished.
- You'll take part in fun cookery sessions to help you develop the confidence to cook healthy meals on a budget. You’ll also be given lots of ideas and advice on dealing with fussy eaters and helping your children to eat healthier food
- You’ll have chance to meet other families and make new friends
- You'll get lots of support to make healthy changes so you'll all have more energy and feel better
A range of courses are taking place in venues across the city.
To find out more about the next course taking place near you, please contact our Healthy Families Team on:
tel: 0151 295 3055
Who is the course for? (Information for Health Professionals)
The course is aimed for any children and young people who are aged between 3 – 17 years, are identified as being above a healthy weight and needing positive support to achieve a healthier BMI.
The course will work with children, young people and their families to develop healthier behaviours across four core themes:
- Healthy Eating, Nutrition & Weight Management
- Physical Activity
- Confidence Building & Self esteem
- Behaviour Change Support
Participants should be:
- Children or young people (aged between 3 -17 years) who are identified as being over a healthy weight, and needing positive support to achieve a healthier BMI (above 91 per centile).
- Motivated to engage with the course in order to improve their knowledge, attitude and behaviours towards healthy eating and physical activity
- Committed to attending sessions for the full 12 week course, and will receive on-going support in order to help them do so
- Parent/carer consent and support will also be required for a child to attend (if under the age of 16).
How can I refer children, young people or families?
To find out more about the course or to refer children, young people or families who you think might benefit from the programme, please contact the Healthy Families team on:
tel: 0151 295 3055
Or alternatively, you can download a referral form below.
Rate the Service
If you have any feedback for our services, please feel free to contact us via our Patient Advice and Liaison Services (PALS).