Healthy Sefton is a local service for Sefton residents and health professionals. It can tell you all about the services and activities available in Sefton to improve health and wellbeing.
It is not a call centre. Instead, people are pointed in the right direction to receive the necessary help and advice to make informed choices. When anyone contacts Healthy Sefton they are connected to one of several trained and friendly call handlers who will listen to their query and bring up on screen the relevant details for a particular service. This information is then passed on to the caller who will then know where, when and how to access that service.
Phone lines are open from 8am to 8pm every day, including Bank Holidays. Calls to 0300 numbers cost the same as local calls – even from mobile phones. And 0300 numbers are included in any discount schemes or inclusive call minutes that callers may have with their landline or mobile phone operator.
As awareness has grown about the sign-posting facility so too has the amount of services that can be accessed through the 0300 100 1000 number. Many of the following services are featured in more detail within Public Health. Here is a brief look at what is on offer through Healthy Sefton:
- Breast Start – advice for mums who are breastfeeding (or who want to) via telephone, text or email. Support can be given through drop-in or social group settings and workshops are also offered to make breastfeeding a positive and successful experience.
- Chlamydia Screening – this simple test is available to those aged between 15 and 24 in a number of settings, such asISISclinics, nurse outreach drop-ins and can also be posted out. Anyone aged over 25 can attend anyISISclinic or GU Dept in a local hospital.
- Choose to Lose – Sefton’s NHS Food and Health Workers offer free healthy eating as well as cooking sessions for the whole family over a four-week period in a variety of community venues. Additionally, the team provides a 6-week weight management programme advising on ways to lose weight the healthy way.
- Lifestyle Checks –people aged 40-74 and living in Sefton can benefit from tests for coronary heart disease, diabetes and other lifestyle checks. By ringing Healthy Sefton they can locate their nearest participating pharmacy and be advised on the next step to take.
- Physical Activity – there are opportunities at Active Sefton leisure centres and community venues for all members of the family and all abilities, from young children to older citizens who can take part in a variety of activities.
- Positive Mental Wellbeing – anyone feeling anxious or low can be directed to a range of non-medical programmes aimed at increasing people’s mental health and wellbeing by going through the Wellbeing Co-ordinator. These programmes include: active reading and arts-based sessions and physical activities to boost positive mental wellbeing.
- Sensible Drinking – several NHS lifestyle surveys have identified there is a growing number of people in Sefton who are drinking at levels that may cause them harm now or in the future. Sefton Alcohol Services provides counselling to support those with alcohol problems. There is also SATINS, a nurse-led specialised service, which people can be referred to by their GP or any other health professional. By calling Healthy Sefton people can also find out how to get a free units calculator to help gauge safe levels of drinking.
- Stop Smoking – this successful nurse-led has start-up sessions at venues throughout the borough and Healthy Sefton also facilitates specific queries around home visits by the service.