Adult Speech & Language Therapy
What We Do
We serve people registered with a Liverpool GP, who are experiencing communication and/or swallowing difficulties, requiring the special intervention of a Speech and Language Therapist.
Clients are seen in a variety of settings including home, nursing homes, clinic and day centres. We work with clients, their carers, and others involved in providing support.
We would need to assess communication abilities in order to plan a block of therapy or strategies to enable communication. This would be reviewed regularly to support the needs of the individual. Therapy may include a range of interventions, for example:
- Use of speech exercises to strengthen the muscles needed for speech
- Working on conversational abilities to increase participation in daily life
- Improving understanding of service users condition and how it can affect communication
Communication helps with:
- Friends and family
- Telling people about your thoughts, ideas and feelings
- Job opportunities
- An active lifestyle
When we meet you we will find out about:
- Your understanding of language
- Your speech and writing
- How you concentrate and remember
- How you feel about your speech
Then we will work with you and your carers to agree a therapy programme.
What is the impact of a communication difficulty?
- Slurred speech
- Effortful speech
- Difficulty reading
- Getting sounds in the wrong order
- Saying the wrong word
- No speech
- Difficulties understanding what people say
- Difficulty using sentences
- Difficulty writing
- Difficulty paying attention
If you have difficulties with eating, drinking or swallowing we can assess these and will give treatment and advice as appropriate.
What are the impacts of swallowing difficulties?
- Coughing when eating and/or drinking
- Losing saliva from the mouth
- Chest infections and weight loss
- Struggling with food and or drink
What are the health benefits of Speech and Language Therapy?
- Increased involvement in social activities
- Increased Confidence
- Resolution of a problem
- Maintenance of communication or swallowing skills
- Knowledge and understanding
- Improved physical health as a result of improving swallowing difficulties
Livingston Drive Family Health Centre,
The building can be accessed from Livingston Drive South (behind the library) or from Lark Lane.
Referrals for Liverpool are received via the Therapy Services Advisors (TSA) team who are based at:
Baylis 2, Liverpool Innovation Park,
Tel: 0151 296 7402
Fax: 0151 296 7416
Rate the Service
If you have any feedback for our services, please feel free to contact us via our Patient Advice and Liaison Services (PALS).